Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hospital Stay-warning-long post

I have so much free time thanks to these little guys trying to come out too soon. I thought I better write out the story of what is going on so that I can print it out when I make the blog book.

On Sunday, Sept.28, 2011 I started to feel some lower abdominal pains but thought it was just growing pains. I had a rough night of sleep due to an achy tummy and them moving. Ifigured I would discuss it at my doctor's appointment on Monday. So the next day I went in for the babies stress test and amniotic fluid test and they both went great. I had a few pains while I was there and talked to the lady that helped hook me up to the machine but she made it sound like it was probably nothing. I went on with my day, I even went and helped babysit for a little bit at Julie's house but I could tell I didn't have the energy and was still having pains here and there. My night time I finally called my mom and explained what was going on.

Some people may think "duh, they are contractions" but every person I asked to describe what contractions felt like told me it felt like a big squeeze around the tummy and it gets hard. Well, I wasn't feeling that . I was feeling intense lower abdominal mentstrual cramps. Worse than any cramps I had experienced before. So, I called my mom and she said that I needed to start writing down how often they occured, intensity level, and duration of them. Then I was supposed to call the hospital and let them know. Well, turns out they were every 15 min, which then led to every 10 min.
I called the hospital and they said to come in right away. It was now 1:30 am and Aaron and I headed over. We didn't pack anything because we thought it was probably nothing and we would be home within a few hours. Little did we know.
The nurse that came in was nice but kind of acted like"oh, what a silly first time pregnant lady. This is nothing" She finally checked me out and her facial expression changed right away. She was shocked and said, you are 3 cm dilated and 100% effaced! She said she could feel baby A head! Aaron and I just looked at each other in shock. We were scared for many reasons but the one that we both said is "we aren't ready yet!!" She called the doctor right away and I got admitted to Labor and Delivery. We got to the room and I just broke down crying. Everything happened so fast and Aaron and I were afraid that I was actually going to deliver that night. Being 30 weeks, was good but I also knew that our babies would be in the NICU for a long time. Luckily, they said that they were going to put me on magnesium sulfate to help stop the contractions and start the steroid injections for the babies lungs. I was so worried about everything going on and my mind was going a mile a minute that I couldn't sleep at all. I was exhausted but I felt like there was so much to think about, especially about everything that still needed to be done before the boys came.

The high risk doctor came and talked to me the following morning and said what was going on. He said that there was a possibility of me staying in the hospital until the boys were delivered and I thought to myself, "wow! that would be awful!" but he seemed hopeful for me to go home. Well, he was wrong and my actual doctor informed me that he did not want me to go home because I was a high risk and he didn't want any chance of the babies being delivered at home. Especially how fragile they are right now. I wanted to cry, but i understood. Just the thought of being here in the hospital for up to 6 weeks sounded awful. I have accepted it though and realize that it is really best for the babies care. Not only do I get someone to wait on me hand and foot, but the hospital is a lot cooler than my house :)
The doctors told us that they want to run a few more tests because baby B has more fluid around his heart than his brother and they want to make sure that blood flow is going well. They didn't seem to worried about it but just want to take extra precautions. So far, we are still waiting on the results.
Baby A is so far down that they couldn't get his head in the ultrasound. They tried, believe me, they tried!! Yikes, she dug so hard on my pubic bone I wanted to scream! I am assuming Baby A is like his father and is the competitive one. He has been the first one down there every time and wants to get out first. :)

It is now Saturday, Oct. 1 2011 and I have made it to the 31 week mark! I know the doctor really would like me to make it to 36 weeks but I feel like I need to just make little goals and take a few days at a time. They have taken me off the magnesium sulfate and put me on nifedipine. I am very happy about that since magnesium was pretty awful and I was sick of having an IV machine constantly beeping. I still get contractions but so far they have been within the limit and the babies are doing really good. I feel them move around so much. If only I would be allowed to walk around or take a wheelchair ride. I don't even know what the floor looks like outside of my room. My doctor wants to wait on a ride because my water sac is pretty much about to leak anytime. :(

The neonate doctor came and talked to Aaron and I about all the possibilities of what could happen or mainly, what they will do if the babies do come too early. It was really helpful and I think calmed both of us down on that topic. He made it very clear that because they were at the 30 week mark that it was a huge blessing.

Aaron took off a couple days of work but we decided it was better that he go back since he can't do anything here and we need to save days for those babies. I think it helps him cope and get the worries off his mind.

Mom and Dad have just come down and I feel so relieved since I was afraid I was going to have the babies right away and my mom wouldn't be there. I m really grateful that they are retired. :) Mommies always make everything better (dad's too)!

Although this pregnancy didn't quite end the way I thought it would, I feel so blessed. I am so grateful that these babies are still going strong and that my body is holding on for just a bit longer. I am getting so excited to have them (a little nervous too) and to be able to see their sweet faces. I think we have somewhat decided on both names, but they will be witheld until we see them. :)

I love my Heavenly Father and for blessing Aaron and I with these sweet boys. We are truly loved.
***pictures to come


2 comments:

  1. Amber we love you all. Hang in there. Read some books that you have been wanting to read and relax. You are always in our prayers. The boys too. Hugs and Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I keep thinking about you every day. I hope that you are doing alright, and I really wish that I could come sit with you to keep you company. If you ever want to chat, just give me a call because I'm here. LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete